Monday 2 June 2014

The Italian Job: the Perspective of a Happy Immigrant

   

 Today is the National Day of Italy, which is my second country - the country in which I spent a fair part of my childhood and where I returned as a young adult. Historically speaking, it is the anniversary of the establishment of the Italian Republic, which occurred by population referendum on the 2nd of June 1946. 
   Beyond historical dates, Italy is a lot of things: food, art, music, love, fashion, cinema, architecture, natural landscapes and so much more. Of course, it has its fair share of economic, social and political problems, and the dissatisfied citizens included in the package. But the more I travel, the more I realize that no country in this world is perfect. When I first ended up in Italy with my family, I was far too young to decide, so the choice was not mine. But now, I believe that it was destiny that brought us there.
   

  Unfortunately, Italy has also been the venue for a large ammount of immigrants of not-so-great quality, including from Romania, who made it in the news, taking the attention off the honest ones. Or at least, so we think... You would ask me what has been my life as an immigrant in Italy really like? And if I say "fabulous" you probably would not believe me. I will start with an anecdote from my chidhood. When I started kindergarten in Milan, the teacher playfully asked the children if they had a place for little "Alessandra". And what did the little ones do? They all came ahead with their chairs. Sweet and chivalrous! :) Fast forward: year 2007. I was preparing to leave Romania to return to Italy. The Romanian media was full of news according to which criminals of Romanian origin and their deeds were on the rise in Italy, causing Italians to treat Romanians badly only because of their nationality. I was seeing difficulties ahead, but I was determined to return to a place where I was happy and be happy once again. And I'm telling you that what I feared the most.... was the least of my problems. The people I came into contact with were by far the best part of my stay in Italy, from strangers in the street, to the staff of various institutions, to colleagues and friends, with whom I formed a really close bond. From Milan to Sicily, Italy gifted me with an extended family, and some of the most wonderful people I have ever met. With them I had the craziest fun I had not had since I was at school, but I could also count on their moral support in times of need. What else could I ask for? 
       

   What's the catch? I have no idea. It may be the fact that intelligent people can always recognize a person of good quality (and I have always been confident in my quality as a person). It may be that Romanian and Italian cultures are too similiar to have discrepancies or communincation issues. Or, it may be the fact that fluency in Italian language and a sound knowledge of Italian culture and society helps everyone. But one thing is for sure: I never suffered and I was never given bad treatment because of my Romanian nationality. 
   This proves only one thing: when it comes to happiness, it's the people who do the job. Not just the economy, although it wouldn't be that bad if it could grow again. Human value, mixed with a rich cultural heritage, in some of the most beautiful landscapes in the world, having a laugh together over a large pizza. That is my Italy, where I know I will always feel welcome. Buon compleanno, bella Italia!
   


No comments:

Post a Comment