Saturday 31 May 2014

1st of June: a Day for the Child Within

 
 Today, I will share with you something from my own culture that was very important in my childhood years.... But wait a second! I actually discovered that it is a tradition related to various countries. As a matter of fact, on the 1st of June, almost 50 countries accross the world are celebrating Children's Day. Most of these countries belong to the former Soviet Union, also the former communist block of Central and Eastern Europe, but also China, Mongolia, Vietnam, Yemen, Lebanon, and many more. This celebration was established on the 1st of June 1950, in Moscow, by the Women's International Democratic Federation. 
     When I was little, I was looking forward to it. Summer holiday from kindergarten or primary school was approaching, and it was a day when instead of lessons we would go to the amusement park with our teacher, receive stories' books as a present, and play with each other till afternoon, without ever being tired. I have several friends in the other countries where Children's Day is celebrated - they have told me pretty much the same thing: the park, games, ice-cream. Well, well... if only every day at school had been like that! 
    What do I believe now, as an adult? That we should still celebrate it! Among serious commitments, the first grey hairs, the first wrinkles, and maybe not having the same energy we had when we were kids, I think deep-down we have not changed that much. And we still deserve once in a while to be carefree, joyful and free. Or maybe we should let ourselves be spoiled by our families, or still visit our teachers and remind them what good kids we were. I know that I never stopped celebrating, and most probably never will. And probably neither should you! 

No comments:

Post a Comment