Monday 8 September 2014

The Constructive Facebook Challenge: a Quick Injection of Culture

     

   
  Many "serious" people would say that Facebook is a waste of time. Well, probably not in its entirety, but it certainly takes away a fair portion of the time we should be spending working, studying, cleaning the house, or whatever other chores. 
  However, in the recent days and months I have seen a new, constructive use of Facebook. Most of us have been involved in chain challenges, when a friend of ours publishes something, then nominates us to do the same. Yet, the most culturally-challenging one are those dedicated to paintings and those dedicated to books. If I publish a painting, and you click "like" on it, I would assign you a painter, and you would have to publish one of his works. Or, if somebody nominates me to publish a list of 10 of my favourite books, I will also have to think of at least 3 friends who should do the same. Therefore, when this happens, we see at least a few friends of ours publishing lists of books and famous paintings each day. It is like they recommend us what to read, or which artist we should look up. And this can do us nothing but good. In a glance, we find out something we may not have seen or read before. I have been involved in both of these challenges, and, apart from sharing my own taste in art and literature, my curiosity and desire for knowledge were highly stimulated. So much, that I decided to dedicate more time to reading, which, with today's hectic lifestyle, has been quite difficult. Not bad, is it?
   And I wonder what the next type of challenge will be. Theatre plays? Movies? Music? Touristic destination? Tradition from our own countries? That's for us to choose. But we definitely LIKE it! 

No comments:

Post a Comment